KRP Law, LLC Salem Divorce Lawyer Attorney Profile Divorce Law Blog Contact Us
Call Today to Schedule an Appointment

Call Today


Child Custody
Child Support
Contested Divorce
Domestic Violence
Enforcement of Court Orders
Father's Rights
Grandparental Rights
High Net-Worth Divorce
Property Division
Same-Sex Marriage
Uncontested Divorce
221 Essex Street, Suite 51 Salem, MA 01970
Schedule your free consultation Learn more about our experienced attorneys Get you divorce questions answered

Salem, MA Contested Divorce Lawyer

Dedicated Divorce Representation in Salem, MA

    What is a contested divorce? If you are seeking to end your marriage but your spouse does not agree, you are facing contested divorce. Another form of contested divorce is if you and your spouse are unable to come to an agreement on the various terms of your marriage dissolution.

    A contested divorce can be a long and difficult process compared to an uncontested divorce. It can also be much more expensive. Having a qualified Salem, MA divorce attorney on your side is crucial at this time.

    What Can I So if My Spouse Doesn't Want a Divorce?

    There are several steps involved in a contested divorce where one spouse does not want a divorce.

    • Meet with an attorney. While this is optional, it is highly advisable that you seek legal representation that will be able to assist you throughout the process and help you fight for your rights, your goals and your desires regarding the outcome of your case.
    • Serve the divorce petition to your spouse. You will need to file a divorce petition with the court and then your attorney can serve this petition to your spouse.
    • Your spouse responds to the petition. If your spouse does not respond within the allotted time given by the court then y our spouse will be in default and you will be able to obtain a default judgment of divorce.
    • Go through the discovery process with a lawyer. In this part of the process, the parties involved will obtain detailed information regarding the marital assets from each other in order to prepare for issues such as support, custody and others.
    • Pursue a settlement. The spouses will have the opportunity to discuss the terms of divorce and come to a settlement agreement. If they are unable to agree, then the divorce will continue with a trial.
    • If you cannot reach a settlement, prepare for a trial with your attorney. A judge will hear both parties and make final decisions regarding all issues of the divorce including custody, asset division and many others.

    What Happens After the Trial?

    Once the trial is finished, the divorce is essentially final and the last issues will be resolved. If you are unhappy with the decision that the court made then you may be able to file a post-trial motion which will allow you to obtain relief from the final judgment. This must be done within 30 days of the signing of the order. If your motion is denied then you may have the option of filing an appeal within 30 days after the motion is denied.

    Choose KRP Law, LLC for Aggressive Representation

    If you are facing contested divorce then do not hesitate to contact a Salem, MA divorce lawyer at KRP Law, LLC for aggressive representation of your case in court. I am here to fight for your rights, your goals and your desires. It can be extremely difficult to face the divorce process on your own, but I am prepared to help you through the process by answering questions you may have. I can keep you informed and provide you with skillful representation if you choose to work with me.

    Call KRP Law, LLC today to schedule a free legal consultation!

    The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal
    advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not
    constitute, an attorney-client relationship.