KRP Law, LLC Salem Divorce Lawyer Attorney Profile Divorce Law Blog Contact Us
Call Today to Schedule an Appointment

Call Today


Child Custody
Child Support
Contested Divorce
Domestic Violence
Enforcement of Court Orders
Father's Rights
Grandparental Rights
High Net-Worth Divorce
Property Division
Same-Sex Marriage
Uncontested Divorce
221 Essex Street, Suite 51 Salem, MA 01970
Schedule your free consultation Learn more about our experienced attorneys Get you divorce questions answered

Salem, MA Child Support Attorney

How is Child Support Calculated?

Child support is one of the major issues that must be resolved in divorce. When you are breaking physical ties with your spouse, you must maintain a realistic perspective and remember that your income is being cut in half. Finances must be reorganized and monitored closely and in many cases, parents need child support in order to properly provide for their children in the event of a divorce.

Child support is calculated under certain guidelines, including the following factors:

  • The parent's income
  • The number of children
  • The age of the children
  • Costs of daycare
  • Costs of child's healthcare insurance
  • Custody and visitation arrangement
  • Unemployment
  • Pensions
  • Prior support orders
  • Other extraordinary expenses such as travel for visitation

How is Child Support Determined?

If you have obtained custody of your child then you may be able to receive child support in order to help offset the cost of provision. If you and your ex-spouse agree, then a child support plan can be submitted to the court for approval. Unfortunately, many times the parents are not able to come to a mutual decision so the courts have to establish the order for support.

In addition to those listened above, the court may also factor in other elements that they deem relevant to calculating child support. While most cases of child support will continue until the child is 18 there are cases where support will be required to continue after that. For example, if the child were to continue school after high school then support would be required until the child earns their undergraduate degree or turns 23, whichever comes first.

How is Child Support Paid?

Child support payments are usually taken out of the parent's paycheck. This is called "income assignment." The deducted wages are sent to the Department of Revenue (DOR). From there, they are sent to the custodial parent.

Modification & Enforcement of Child Support Orders

Child support agreements can also be modified, they are not permanently fixed. If for some reason the circumstances change, such as if you lose your job or suffer a cut in wages, contact a Salem divorce attorney who can file a complaint for modification on your support order.

It is important to that if a parent fails to pay their court-ordered support, they may be found in contempt of court. Visitation and support are seen as two separate entities in the eyes of the court and if visitation is being denied that does not give grounds to stop making support payments. If you need help enforcing your child support order contact my firm immediately. I can help you recover the payments you are entitled to receive.

Call KRP Law, LLC For a Free Consultation!

It is important that you have skillful representation on your side if you are seeking to obtain or modify child support. Whether you want to handle your case outside of court through mediation or take your case to trial, KRP Law, LLC can take on even the most challenging cases and come up with effective resolutions.

Don't leave critical matters such as child support to chance. I am here to fight for your rights, your goals and your desires regarding the outcome of your case. For compassionate and responsive legal representation in your child support case, do not hesitate to contact my firm today! I offer free consultations to all potential clients.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal
advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not
constitute, an attorney-client relationship.